Thursday, June 28, 2012

Getting into gear



  • Little known Misty fact:  I love bicycle riding.  If you see me in the gym, chances are I am on a bike (or bellied up to the smoothie bar).  
  • Well known Misty fact:  I have NO balance.  You can breathe on me and I will dramatically fall to the ground, taking many breakable things down with me.




Stamina 15-0120 InStride Cycle XL
This just doesn't cut it anymore

Hence the dilemma:  How does a person with no balance, but an overabundance of pride and ego realize the joys of bike riding?  Add to that the issue of not having a bike friendly neighborhood, one finds that tricycles aren't really an option because you can't just throw them on a bike rack and go.  And speaking of throwing it on the bike rack:  while I often amaze (or creep out) with my upper body strength, I have to be able to place a bicycle gently onto my car without damaging the bike, the car, or myself.
Luckily for me: I married an engineer. Now I would never dream of asking Geoff to put together a child's toy, but I think he could totally rock something without directions. But I have been able to find some ingenious options like this Gavin Smith concept: 

bicycle for people with disabilities


Here is what I vaguely requested (of anyone who will listen):

I am pretty sure that I can ride a two wheeled bike- once I get my balance.  I think I may be able to stop unscathed (though disembarking is risky).  So I need stabilizers, but don't want permanent training wheels.   I want a bike with training wheels that will magically disappear when I get my balance (I am willing to press a button).

Please pass this along because I need more ideas.  Maia really loves her bike and I'd love to be able to take her out (Running is not an option).
Help make my mommy as cute as me

No comments:

Post a Comment